The Respiratory Support and Sleep centre is the largest sleep unit in the UK providing care for respiratory and non-respiratory sleep disorders. We have a fully functioning sleep laboratory and perform greater than 100 polysomnographies per month investigating a wide variety of patients with sleep disorders.
Our research interests are broad including the assessment of novel technologies to allow diagnosis and assessment of sleep disorders, clinical trials of new treatments and the assessment of the impact of currently available treatments. Our research is presented at national and international meetings and published in peer reviewed journals to allow broad dissemination of the collected data.
We have a proven track record in participating in clinical research and an established research team. Our aim is to continue to participate and push forward the knowledge in this exciting and rapidly developing field of medicine.
- Quinnell TG, Bennett M, Jordan J, Clutterbuck-James AL, Davies MG, Smith IE, Oscroft N, Pittman MA, Cameron M, Chadwick R, Morrell MJ, Glover MJ, Fox-Rushby JA, Sharples LD.
A crossover randomised controlled trial of oral mandibular advancement devices for obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea (TOMADO). Thorax. 2014; 69: 938-45.
- Miller E1, Andrews N, Stellitano L, Stowe J, Winstone AM, Shneerson J, Verity C. Risk of narcolepsy in children and young people receiving AS03 adjuvanted pandemic A/H1N1 2009 influenza vaccine: retrospective analysis,BMJ. 2013: 26; 346
- Ali M, Smith IE, Gulati A, Shneerson JM. Hypoxic challenge assessment in individuals with obstructive sleep apnea.. Sleep Med. 2011;12:158-62.
- Anderson KN, Vincent A, Smith IE, Shneerson JM. Cerebrospinal fluid hypocretin levels are normal in idiopathic REM sleep behaviour disorder. Eur J Neurol 2010; 17: 1105-1107
- Oscroft NS, Smith IE. Oral glucocorticosteroids, effective in a case of restless legs syndrome resistant to other therapies. Sleep Med 2010; 11: 596
- Anderson KN, Shneerson JM. Drug treatment of REM sleep behavior disorder: the use of drug therapies other than clonazepam. J Clin Sleep Med 2009; 5: 235-239.
- Morrish E, Shneerson JM, Smith IE. Why does gender influence survival in obstructive sleep apnoea? Respir Med 2008; 102: 1231-1236
- Quinnell TG, Farooqi IS, Smith IE, Shneerson JM. Screening the human prepro-orexin gene in a single-centre narcolepsy cohort. Sleep Med 2007; 8: 498-502
- Anderson KN, Pilsworth S, Sharples LD, Smith IE, Shneerson JM. Idiopathic hypersomnia: a study of 77 cases. Sleep 2007; 30: 1274-1281